Back in my post about how our family included some extra projects for art and music, I promised to share a few results. Although the plans from Tapestry of Grace include some art projects, many time we have already done something similar and we are interested trying something new. I do a quick look through the topics for each week and come up with a few ideas to build on.
We always start with the Story of Painting pages that are assigned most every week and then we will use the internet to find additional examples to use for picture study. After that, I try to offer some sort of activity that will be refreshing at the end of a busy academic day, two times a week.
Here are some photos of the unit one art projects that we have completed.
In week one we viewed lots of illuminated manuscripts and then the boys tried their hand at a fancy letter. This is one of the finished products.
In weeks two and three we worked on mosaics after studying Byzantine artwork. It was the first time that we had tried using actual mosaic tiles and grout to make a piece of artwork. We learned a lot of things in the process. We used too much grout and we didn’t wipe it off soon enough so our finished project is not as colorful as we had wished for.
I decided to frame them and hang them in the bathroom and then when we get some free time we will complete another project and see if we can get the grout right. The one on the left is an octopus and the one on the right is a fish with bubbles. 🙂
In week five I gave the boys a pretty open-ended project idea. They were to use Sculpey and make something Viking related. This is one project that my son made…a sword. He also wrote a report on the use of the sword to go along with the artwork for our unit celebration. The other son made a model of a Viking masthead that looked like a dragon.
In week eight we used a kit to work with Chinese brush painting. (ISBN 1560108452) The first day we experimented with the brushes, paints, and the ink. The brushes were so different and were fun to try different techniques with and we filled a few sheets with color and line.
Week 9 found us designing and then drawing a stained glass image on a window. Once the boys got started, they really enjoyed the process of coloring in the window. They had a hard time getting the curves right and both came up with creative ways to do it.
Unit one moved pretty fast but I know that the art projects helped pull all the ideas together. They also had a lot of fun working each week and we are looking forward to the next unit where we will be starting the Renaissance time period.
I will post our plans for unit two when I get them all pulled together…..soon I hope. 🙂
Barb-Harmony Art Mom