Harmony Fine Arts Grade 2 plans feature Gothic and Renaissance period art and music and are appropriate for students in grades 1-4. If you have older children, there are also middle school level art and music appreciation plans for Medieval and Renaissance art (Grade 6) from Harmony Fine Arts. Please note that Grade 2 and Grade 6 have different artists and composers so they will not “match” except in covering the same time period.
Art Option 1: All the artwork is linked to internet sources and you can view them online or you can print the paintings out to view and then add them to your art notebooks. For Ebook Uses: There are two prints included for each artist.
Art Option 2: This option will schedule a variety of activities including viewing artwork, reading about artists, completing notebook pages, and art projects. Coloring pages for the artists are included for you to print or copy.
Art Option 3: Option three will use Artistic Pursuits Grades K-3, Book Two for lessons in art appreciation. Along with these plans you will be completing many of the same activities as Option 2. Please note that you will be using this book for Grades 2 and 3 in the Harmony Fine Arts plans. NOTE: The Second Edition of Artistic Pursuits is scheduled in these plans. The book name remains the same: K-3 Book 2 but the page numbers are different in the Third Edition. I suggest using the table of contents to determine which lesson to use each week.
Updated July 2018: It appears that Artistic Pursuits has completely revamped their K-3 program and has switched to a DVD plan. I suggest purchasing a reasonably priced used copy of this resource and using for grades 2 and 3.
Composer Study: The Harmony Fine Arts plans for this level include six composers, listening either with CDs you own or purchase or online listening using YouTube. Please note the list of composers included with these plans. They do not all fit within the overall time period of the Year 2 cycle of history.
- 36 Weeks of Plans – 6 artists and 6 composers.
- The plans include links to internet sources for viewing artwork, additional activities, and YouTube listening.
- Please note the list of composers included with these plans. They do not all fit within the overall time period of the Year 2 cycle of history. This was due to finding a superior resource that although not being a complete fit as far as time period, includes wonderful selections for your year of study.
- Ebook includes notebook pages and coloring pages to use as a follow-up to your study. Ebook format includes art prints to view and/or print out for your personal use.
- Example week in action with images and details: Harmony Fine Arts Grade 2 Example Week.
- Resources can be seen below. Please Note: Option 3 – Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2 is used over a two year period for money savings and a more thorough coverage of the material. I supplement the Artistic Pursuits lessons with picture study and additional activities to give you a connection between the Artistic Pursuits topics and the time period.
Art Appreciation Option 2 Required Resources:
Art of the Middle Ages: It looks like this book is no longer available as a new book on Amazon but there are several reasonably priced copies available.
Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists: Raphael: There are many good used copies of this book available.
Art Appreciation Option 3 Required Resource
Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2: Purchase this book directly from Artistic Pursuits. Note this book is used for both Grades 2 and 3 of Harmony Fine Arts.
Music Appreciation Required Resource
Famous Composers by Darren Henley (CD): This looks like you will need to purchase it used but there are quite a few at a reasonable price.