Harmony Fine Arts Grade 3 plans feature Late Renaissance to Early Modern period art and music. If you have older children, there are also middle school level art and music appreciation plans for Late Renaissance and Early Modern times (Grade 7). Please note that Grade 3 and Grade 7 have different artists and composers so they will not “match” except in covering the same time period.
Art Option 1: All the artwork is linked to internet sources and you can view them online or you can print the paintings out to view and then add them to your art notebooks. For Ebook users: There are two prints included for each artist.
Art Option 2: This option will schedule a variety of activities including viewing artwork, reading about artists, completing notebook pages, and art projects. Coloring pages for the artists are included for you to print or copy.
Art Option 3: Option three will use Artistic Pursuits Grades K-3 Book Two for lessons in art appreciation. Along with these plans you will be completing many of the same activities as Option 2. Please note that you will be using this book for Grades 2 and 3 in the Harmony Fine Arts plans. NOTE: The Second Edition of Artistic Pursuits is scheduled in these plans. The book name remains the same: K-3 Book 2 but the page numbers are different in the Third Edition. I suggest using the table of contents to determine which lesson to use each week.
Composer Study: The Harmony Fine Arts plans for this level include six composers. Please note the list of composers included with these plans. They do not all fit within the overall time period of the Year 3 cycle of history.
- 36 Weeks of Plans – 6 artists and 6 composers.
- Ebook format includes links to internet sources for viewing artwork, additional activities, and YouTube listening and viewing. Please note the list of composers included with these plans. They do not all fit within the overall time period of the Year 3 cycle of history. This was due to finding a superior resource that although not being a complete fit as far as time period, includes wonderful selections for your year of study.
- Ebook includes notebook pages and coloring pages to use as a follow-up to your study.
- Ebook format includes art prints to view and/or print out for your personal use.
- Resources can be seen on my below. Please Note: Option 3 – Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2 is used over a two year period for money savings and a more thorough coverage of the material. I supplement the AP lessons with picture study and additional activities to give you a connection between the AP topics and the time period.
- Example week with lots of details and images: Harmony Fine Arts Grade 3 Example Week.
Art Appreciation Option 2 Required Resources
Getting To Know the World’s Greatest Artists – Velazquez: I can’t see where this is available on Amazon.com anymore. I did find it on several used book sites and at Rainbow Resource Center at a very reasonable price! Click over to Rainbow Resource and enter the book title in the search box: Rainbow Resource.
Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists- Rembrandt: This is available in a “new edition” on Amazon.com. I have not seen this in person but I’m assuming it is close to the original version that I have used in the past.
How Artists See the Elements: I love this series of books and this one is perfect for Grade 3 study.
The Boy Who Drew Birds: This short biography of John James Audubon is a wonderful introduction to this artist.
Art Appreciation Option 3 Required Resource
Artistic Pursuits Book K-3 Book 2: Purchase this book directly from Artistic Pursuits.
Note: This book is used over a two year period for money savings and a more thorough coverage of the material. I supplement the AP lessons with picture study and additional activities to give you a connection between the AP topics and the time period.
Music Appreciation Required Resource
More Famous Composers (Vol. 2): This is a wonderful resource that will make your music appreciation time very enjoyable.