Grade 6 – Medieval and Renaissance Art and Music
Ready for Medieval and Renaissance art? Harmony Fine Arts art and music appreciation program for grade six has it covered. Leonardo, Raphael, Botticelli, Michelangelo, and more are all planned out for you to view and discuss with your whole family. Do you want to listen to a little Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, Mozart, and a few more composers during your school year? I have the plan all put down on paper for you. You will have the freedom and flexibility to use Harmony Fine Arts for your whole family and at a pace that suits your lifestyle.
Art Option 1: This option schedules an artist along with four suggested paintings to view. All the paintings are linked to internet sources and you can view the paintings online or you can print the paintings out to view and then add them to your art notebooks. In the ebook version, each artist has an art print in the appendix of the plans and you can view it online or you can print it out to view.
Art Option 2: This option will be art appreciation with an integrated plan for learning to draw. The plan will include Mark Kistler’s Draw Squad and each week the plan will tie the concept from the Draw Squad lesson to the artist under study in option one. Artist coloring pages for most of the plan’s artists are included in the appendix of the plans for you to print or copy.
Art Option 3: Option three will use Artistic Pursuits Grades 4-6, Book Two for lessons in art appreciation as well as working with watercolors and drawing pencils. Although this book focuses on American painters, the Harmony Fine Arts plans will integrate the art element from the Artistic Pursuits book with the artist under study in option one. The plan helps the student connect the art element offered in the lesson with the artwork suggested for each artist. NOTE: The Artistic Pursuits book used in these plans is the Second Edition but you can use the new Grades 4-5 Book 2 by coordinating the Table of Contents with the lessons scheduled in Harmony Fine ARts.
Composer Study: Harmony Fine Arts plans one composer for each four week period. The suggested CDs are planned to give both a background in the composer’s life story as well as full length selections of their music. For many of the composers there are additional links for free online listening.
- In the ebook, all links are clickable and will save time by taking you directly to the artwork online when you are viewing featured works or you are looking up additional resources. Every painting is linked to the internet for your viewing convenience.
- Included with the plans in a separate appendix are art prints for each artist. These can be viewed on your computer screen or printed out for your art notebooks.
- There are coloring pages in the plan’s appendix for all but one of the artists featured.
- There are notebook pages for you to print for the artists and composers studied.
- The plans for Artistic Pursuits in option three now include a direct suggestion for linking the art element covered in the lesson with the featured artist in the picture study option.
- The notes section gives specific instructions for using picture study with your children, ideas for artist and composer notebooks, and suggestions for handling nudity in artwork with your children.
- The option two plans now include a schedule for using Mark Kistler’s Draw Squad book for an introduction to drawing. The lessons are also connected to the artist studied in picture study by suggesting drawing activities to go along with the artwork.
- Most composers now have additional free online resource suggested for your child to listen to in addition to the suggested CD.
- Example week in action with details and images:Harmony Fine Arts Grade 6 Example Week.
- 48 pages in length.
- See the resources recommended below.
Art Appreciation Option 2 Resources
DK Eyewitness Renaissance: Purchase a good used copy of this resource on Amazon.com.
Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists – Giotto: I would purchase this book from Rainbow Resource.
Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists – Bruegel: I would purchase a good used copy on Amazon.com.
Art Appreciation Option 3 Resource
Artistic Pursuits Grades
Artistic Pursuits Grades 4-5 Book 2: Purchase this from Artistic Pursuits. Please note that the Harmony Fine Arts for this grade originally used the Artistic Pursuits Grades 4-6 Book 2.
Music Appreciation Resources
Read a complete review of this level of Harmony Fine Arts on The Curriculum Choice!